ST Snippets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snippet 3 :-)

2 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Snippet 3 :-) Empty Snippet 3 :-)

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 am

---**---

(Note: This is based around the Mirror Universe where Vulcans were considered a lesser species, and served the human race. Go along with it as best you can.)

Sunlight streamed in gentle waves through the long windows and open balconies of the Southern York Estate. A beautiful building, fashioned after the villas of the ancient Roman period, it looked unearthly all together in the late morning light and the sight of the city and mountains in the distance.

That was the Southern York Estate. And it was a beautiful day.

The eastern halls were empty for now, as today was a day when no visitors were scheduled to come. But there was still plenty of work to be done. And the hallway was soon occupied by the small, skinny form of an 11-year-old boy, lugging along - with some effort - a large bucket of water that was to be used to clean the floor in the dining hall. It was heavy, but he was used to the work. And it was worth the trip to be able to walk in the sunshine.

The boy paused briefly, letting out a breath and brushing his dark hair away from his eyes. He glanced toward the window, gauging the time from how high the sun was in the sky. Nearly noon. Soon it would be time to serve lunch. He had to be sure to report to the kitchens on time, or Master Gregory would hear, and would have him beaten for sure. It had already happened once, after he'd tripped with a pail of oil the week before and spilled it on the front steps. He'd endured the lashes from the guard's belt, but his mother had cried all night while she had tended to his wounds. It simply couldn't happen again.

Finally, the Vulcan boy lifted the bucket again, and carried it the rest of the way down the hallway. He reached out to the door at the end of the hallway when he reached it, and pushed it open. Inside the dining hall, the smell of soap was already rich in the air, and he spotted his mother about halfway down the room, already getting a head start in lathering the floor with the cleansing fluid.

She raised her head when he entered, and gave him her warm smile. "Thank you, Spock," she said, reaching for the heavy bucket of water when he brought it over, and slipped several rags inside that would be used for cleaning. "You're early today. Were there fewer chores in the garden today?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://stsnippets.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Snippet 3 :-) Empty Re: Snippet 3 :-)

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 am

"Just today," Spock explained, moving the bucket a little closer to her with a brief smile. "The fox didn't get in this time."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 am

"Well, that's good news," Amanda said, smiling at her son as she took one of the rags back out and began to scrub the floor. "If you're hungry, don't forget there are some cinnamon buns for you in the kitchen. I set them aside, under the dish towel. They'll still be warm if you eat them soon."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 am

"Thanks Mama," Spock said, his eyes glowing with excitement as he leaned down and gave her a hug. "You want some tea while I'm there?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 am

"Oh, that's sweet of you, darling. I would love some," Amanda said, hugging him back and kissing his hair before releasing him with a smile. "There should be a kettle on the stove in the kitchen."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 am

Spock gave her a smile as he turned and jogged off. "Black tea, Mama?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:43 am

"Yes, please, sweetheart," Amanda called after him. "And mind you don't slip when you go through the courtyard! The stones have just been waxed."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 am

Spock nodded and ran carefully through the courtyard, his nimble limbs carrying across cobblestone and polished rocks that led through the gardens. He slowed only to enter the kitchen, and then again only at the table that held a small wicker basket. The warm smell of sticky buns tantalized the air, and Spock laid out a napkin and a cup beside it before going for the kettle.

"Careful, son," One of the cooks said, giving him a stern look as he lifted the heavy kettle off of the stove. "Do you need help?"

"No thank you," Spock said, carrying it carefully over to the table. He lifted it with a bit of a struggle and poured a bit in the cup. He caught the cook watching him as he turned around and he smiled briefly to himself as he returned it. They always did that.

"How is your mother, Spock?" Another cook asked, raising an eyebrow at him as she kneaded some dough. "Is she cleaning the floors?"

"Yes," Spock replied, putting a bag of tea in the cup before lifting the cloth on the wicker basket. The smell filled the room as he picked one out and put it on his napkin. "I'm bringing her tea."

"And a sticky-bun?" One of the other cooks asked suspiciously.

Spock shook his head as he picked it up and the cup as well. "No, she said I could have one."

The cooks raised eyebrows at each other, but didn't say anything. Spock didn't either, and left the kitchen with his snack and a cup of tea not a moment later. It took him only a little bit longer to get back and set the tea next to the fresh batch of soap water he had gotten for his mother. "There you go, Mama."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:20 am

"Oh, thank you, sweetheart," Amanda said, smiling warmly at him and leaning over to kiss his cheek, unable to hug him at the moment because her hands were wet and soapy. "That will keep me going through the rest of this, I think. Now you go and be sure to be ready to receive the visitors today. Did you know that Master Gregory's son is coming to live here?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 am

Spock frowned in confusion. "He has a son?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 am

"Yes," Amanda said, turning to continue to scrub the floor with the rag in her hand. "His name, in our language, is Rorek. He will be about two or three years older than you are."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 am

Spock stared at the floor for a moment. "Will I be his?" he asked, looking at his mother. "Or will I stay with you and my duties?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 am

"I don't know," Amanda admitted, looking up at him with a slightly sadder smile. "I wish I knew, but either way, know that a boy of his age will be less likely to require difficult duties from you. Who knows? He may be kind and friendly."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:46 am

Spock looked doubtful. "Are sons of masters usually friendly?" he asked curiously.
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:48 am

"Well...it depends," Amanda said, avoiding admitting the truth she knew. Especially if this was to be a child that belonged to Master Gregory and Lady Vanessa. "They're all different, you know. You just won't know until you meet him. Sometimes they're unfriendly, but sometimes they are quite kind. He may ask you to help him practice his combat skills, too. You would get to see the armory, and the fine weapons from the shop!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 am

Spock looked away, although Amanda could see he was considering it. "Perhaps, Mother."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:56 am

"Give it a chance," Amanda said, giving him an encouraging smile as she moved to begin to clean a new spot in the floor. "He should be arriving at around 2:00 this afternoon. Just follow the greeting party outside when they leave."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Spock nodded, kicking his foot lightly against the bucket. "Ok, Mama. Do you need anything else?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:52 pm

"I'm all right, darling. Thank you," Amanda said fondly, wiping her wrist across her forehead as she smiled at him again. "I'll see you this afternoon, all right? Go bring lunch to your father and Sybok, now. They'll be in the library."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Spock nodded, watching her for another moment before turning to leave the yard. "Alright, Mama." he said, giving her one last brief smile before jogging back toward the kitchen. As he left his eyes turned towards the gate, knowing that in just a few hours the son of the master would be arriving. It was going to be curious to see him, if nothing else. He had never seen a son of a master, but he had heard the stories. They were never good ones.

Entering the kitchen again, he picked up the two bags that were waiting for him on the table. None of the cooks acknowledged him as he came in, and he was out as quickly as he had been in. Rounding the kitchen he continued on towards the massive house it was connected to and entered one of the small wooden doors on the side that led to the library.

"Father? Sybok?" Spock called to them in a whisper as he slowly moved down the aisles, trying to find one of the them. He moved down one set and moved to the other, frowning to himself. "Sybok?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:21 pm

"Over here, Spock. And don't trip over the scrolls, little brother."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Spock turned around and moved back a few steps, spotting Sybok in one of the little nooks of the room. He looked at the scrolls on the ground and carefully stepped over them. "I have your lunch," he said, holding out the bag.
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 pm

"Thank you," the elder boy said, glancing over at him from his work, sorting a stack of manuscripts, and took the bag from him. "Did you bring the water to Mother on time today?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Spock frowned at him. "Of course I did."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm

"Just making sure," Sybok said, turning his eyes back on his work. "I also heard that Master Gregory's son is coming here today. Are you ready for that? You know you will probably be his personal servant."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next