ST Snippets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snippet 6e

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Snippet 6e - Page 2 Empty Re: Snippet 6e

Post  Christi Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 am

Zach shook his head after thinking for a moment. "Nothing they didn't warn me about. A little dizziness here and there...a little nausea but only when I haven't eaten in more than six hours...other than that, nothing really."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 08, 2010 2:13 am

"Mm hm," Dr. Reeves said, writing another line or two down in his notes, before looking back up at him. "And you mentioned that you're late in Stage 3? Was this confirmed by the clinic you last visited in the states?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://stsnippets.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 am

Zach nodded affirmatively. "Yes. The doctor didn't even give it a second thought - he said it was without a doubt."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 08, 2010 3:02 am

"Hm," Dr. Reeves nodded, glancing back down at his folder. "From what I can see, the diagnosis was correct. I'd like to run some additional tests just in case, though." He picked up his pen again. "Would you be able to stop by again this coming Wednesday? The sooner we get the tests into the lab, the better. If necessary, I can stop by your place during my rounds and conduct the tests there. I know how difficult it is to travel by taxi downtown these days."

"Doctors actually do rounds in this city?" Luke asked, raising an eyebrow. "That's practically medieval, isn't it?"

"Not when you have a circulation of patients who have little means to get here aside from utilizing public transportation," the doctor replied, writing something into his folder again. "...and some patients who have no means to leave their homes at all. Sooner or later, it just becomes part of the job." He glanced up at Zach again with a small smile. "So, then, what do you say? Would it be all right if I stopped by Wednesday afternoon, then?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Sat May 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Zach nodded, smiling. "We would be delighted to have you, doctor."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 08, 2010 11:53 pm

"I'll have refreshments ready," Luke said in vague sarcasm, though the smile on his face suggested nothing negative. He nodded to the doctor. "Thank you, Doctor."

"It was my pleasure," Dr. Reeves said, rising to his feet and smiling back at Zach. "You take care of yourself now, and call me if anything changes, especially with the new medication. I always have my phone with me."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Sun May 09, 2010 12:12 am

Zach nodded, smiling. "Thank you, Doctor."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 am

"Until Wednesday," Dr. Reeves said, returning the nod before leading them out of the room.

A few minutes later, both Zach and Luke made their way to the front desk to sign out - and were not quite surprised to see Jake and Chris already there. Chris turned toward them when they approached, and immediately smiled widely upon seeing them.

"Hey, guys! How was the appointment?" he asked. "You look a little better, Zach."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Sun May 09, 2010 12:43 am

"Doctors do that." Zach said, patting his back lightly before pulling a clipboard forward as well. "How was yours?"
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 09, 2010 12:56 am

"Great. Kinda' hot, too," Chris added, as though as an afterthought, and grinning when Jake gave him a look. "What? He was!"

"Which one?" the secretary at the desk looked up, smiling a knowing smile at the pair of brothers. "Dr. Urban or Dr. Reeves?"

"I had Dr. Urban," Chris grinned. "Nice change from the past doctors I've had in the states."

"Isn't he?" the secretary leaned forward, giving him a delighted smile. "And so charming. He's Southern-raised, you know. Originally from Georgia in America. Just recently went through a divorce too, the poor man. Best doctor you'll find, though...aside from Dr. Reeves. Both of them are the best we've got here, in my opinion."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Sun May 09, 2010 1:19 am

"I had Dr. Reeves," Zach said, smiling at Jim. "He was quite the match for Dr. Urban, it sounds like."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 09, 2010 8:06 pm

"Well, it's nice to know that this place has some sort of reputation with its personnel," Luke commented as he finished signing off on the last piece of paper. He glanced up at the secretary as he handed the clipboard back, turning to the Jake and Chris afterward. "If this timing keeps up, I suppose we might just see you both at the pharmacist's tomorrow."

"The one on Bleu?" Chris asked with a crooked smile.

"I should've known," Luke said, glancing at Zach before looking back at the two brothers with a humored smile. "You two are stalking us, aren't you?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Mon May 10, 2010 12:44 am

"You don't have to say it like it's illegal or something," Jake said with mock insult, winking at them afterwards. "What time? Maybe we can all meet for lunch."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 am

"Yeah!" Chris said, sounding immediately excited. "How 'bout one o'clock?"

"Sounds manageable," Luke said, glancing at Zach before looking back at them. "Where do you want to meet?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 am

"That fancy sub restaurant at the block next to it." Jake said immediately, a smile on his face. "I've got on good authority that it's awesome."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 am

"What's good authority to you in this place?" Chris asked incredelously. "The taxi driver?"

"It is a good place," Luke said with a small, crooked smile. "We've been there before. We'll meet you there at 1 tomorrow."

"Sweet!" Chris said, pumping a fist. "It's a date!"

The day ended well, after that appointment. Though traffic was bad on the way back, and Jake and Chris were fairly certain they'd been jypped in the taxi fare on the way back, it was nice just to get back to the apartment, and know that they had gotten the clinic appointment overwith - and had new friends to meet up with the next day.

Chris went on for a while about it, of course, while they did some more unpacking that afternoon, going on about dark hair and brown eyes and how he and Jake always had a tendency to meet model-like people wherever they went. He was full of happy energy as he rushed around the apartment, putting things away and setting up their living space until it began to look more like home.

It really was a start to a new beginning. And something to look forward to, in a new country, and a new way of life apart from everything they'd experienced back in the states.

It had been a very good day indeed.

Luke woke up at two o'clock in the morning that night, the sound of a soft, pained groan reaching his ears before consciousness even had.

His eyes opened immediately, and he was out of bed in an instant, walking across the hallway swiftly until he reached Zach's room. He pushed the door open and made his way to the bed in the middle of the room, where he could already see the telltale signs of a night terror having taken hold of his younger brother's dreams. It was a sight he'd seen far too many times before - and one he'd learned to recognize from the very first sound it caused Zach to emit.

"Zach," he whispered, sitting on the bed beside the younger man, and reaching out to gather his brother against him. "Shhh - Zach, it's all right, it's just a dream," he murmured to him, brushing his hand over Zach's pale, sweaty face. "Come on, little brother, wake up. It's all right."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 am

Zach turned away from the touch, his forehead creased in pain and vague fear as he shivered even under his brother's calming touch. Luke continued to speak to him in a low, calming voice; and after another few moments Zach suddenly gasped and opened his eyes, only his brother's lightly restraining grasp keeping him from lashing out.
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 10, 2010 6:56 pm

"Zach - relax, it's me," Luke said after catching the near sudden movement, keeping a secure hold on the younger man as he watched the brown eyes below his gradually begin to focus on the real world around them. It was evident in the fear lingering in Zach's gaze and the light trembling in his body that the dream had been another significantly bad one. "It's okay. That was just a dream...everything's fine."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Zach's eyes flitted around for a few moments more before Luke felt him relax and exhale deeply. The brown eyes closed again, settling into the present before opening again. "I'm sorry," he whispered, his eyes closing briefly again before opening. "I keep waking you up."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 11, 2010 12:00 am

"I've told you before - don't apologize," Luke said softly, shifting on the bed, until he was lying down beside Zach, keeping his arms loosely around his brother as they settled down against the pillows. He met Zach's gaze with half-closed eyes, reaching up a hand lazily to sift through the mess of Zach's dark hair. "It's not your fault. It's the medication. You remember what the doc said."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Tue May 11, 2010 12:26 am

Zach nodded, the sweat still glistening on his forehead as he looked at his brother. He smiled weakly. "Those meds really have it in for me."
Christi
Christi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 am

Luke smiled slightly in return, brushing his thumb briefly over Zach's cheek before shifting his arm down to pull him close again, closing his eyes. "We'll beat it, Zach." He said quietly, rubbing a hand over the younger man's back. "Try to go back to sleep. I'll be right here."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Zach nodded, glancing up at him with a brief smile again before settling back down. After a moment he sighed and closed his eyes, slowly relaxing again.

Luke kept still as he felt Zach drifting back off to sleep. After he felt the younger man’s breathing start to level, he closed his eyes himself, though he knew full well that he wouldn’t be getting back to sleep for a long time. Maybe not at all, if another night terror decided to visit Zach before the morning.

That was always the way it was. And it wouldn’t change until the medication was corrected.

Just like everything else.

-

Beep.

The sound of the coffee maker finishing its contents sounded out through the small kitchen and reached Jake’s ears, despite the Sudoku puzzle that he was currently immersed in. It was 9 o’clock, and Folgers had just finish brewing. A perfect way to start a new fully day in Paris.

Putting down his puzzle, Jake hoisted himself up and headed toward the kitchen, his eyes glancing toward Jim’s door as he did so. “Jim? You awake yet?”

“Yeah,” the response came from in the other room, though the word sounded a bit unstable. The door opened a moment later, and Chris emerged, wrapped in two blankets and looking a bit pale. He came in and sat down at the table, very obviously shivering now. “…s’ damn f-freezing in here…”

Jake looked over, his smile fading as he walked over to him. “You don’t look so good, Chris. You want some coffee?”
Chris nodded, his lips trembling even when he tried to press them together to stop. “S-sure, thanks.”

Jake looked at him worriedly. “You have another terror, Chris?”

“N-no,” Chris mumbled, shaking his head slowly. “J-just c-cold. Really c-cold.”

Jake frowned, feeling his forehead. “You want something hot to drink? Hot coco, maybe?”

“Anythin’ w-warm,” Chris said, glancing over at the coffee pot on the counter.”C-coffee’s f-fine. Just…m-must be the m-medication…”

Jake nodded, his brown still furrowed as he reluctantly toward the kitchen. “Want creamer, bud?”

“Sure, thanks,” Chris said softly, turning his eyes toward the window and looking over the patterned sunrise outside of it. “…c-can we go g-get your b-bike today?”

Jake pulled out a mug and poured the coffee. “I don’t know if that’ll be a good idea, Chris.” He said, going over to the fridge and taking out the creamer. “It’s kinda cold out there.”

“It’ll p-pass,” Chris said, something near pleading momentarily coloring his tone. “C-c’mon, please? C-can we go g-get your b-bike?”

Jake walked over to him, giving him a look as he handed him the mug. “You really want to? That bad?”

“I d-don’t wanna t-take the t-taxis anymore,” Chris said, gratefully accepting the mug and taking a sip from the hot liquid. “Th-they st-stink.”

Jake chuckled, taking a seat next to him. “Alright then.” He said, scooting his chair forward and rubbing his arms. “We’ll get the bike then.”

Chris smiled, shifting until he could lean against Jake’s shoulder, and let out a contented sigh. “Great,” he sighed, the added warmth continuing to bring a bit more color to his cheeks. “We st-still meeting the K-Kesslers for l-lunch today?”
Jake nodded, rubbing his back gently. “Yeah. Maybe you can give Zach a spin on the bike even, eh?”

“Can I?” Chris said, immediately perking up, a broad smile coming to his face. “Can I really take Zach for a ride on it?”
“Yeah!” Jake said enthusiastically, pulling back to grin at him. “You kidding? He’d love it!”

“Awesome!” Chris said, quickly moving to sip his coffee. “I can’t wait to see those guys again. It’s kind of like we were meant to run into them, you know? And it’s not just the brown eyes – they’re gonna be great friends. Don’t you think so?”

Jake chuckled. “What is it with you and brown eyes?”

“I like ‘em. What can I say?” Chris said, taking another sip of his coffee and sounding better and better by the moment as the warmth spread through him. “And – admit it. You like them, too. Didn’t you say for the longest time that you were only gonna marry someone with brown eyes?”

“Well yeah…” Jake said offhandedly. “And don’t get me wrong, Luke’s pretty hot; but I dunno if he’s my type.”

“Well, now, now, remember, we’re looking for friends here,” Chris said in a falsely-patronizing tone above his coffee mug. “’Sides, you don’t know either of ‘em yet. For all you know, we could’ve been destined to meet since the beginning of time.”

Jake half laughed. “Yeah well then I’ll really have no choice in the matter, will I?” he said, giving him a light shove as he stood and headed to his room. “I’m gonna shower up. You finish that and then get ready, all right?”

“Got it,” Chris said, taking another gulp from his coffee mug before standing up. “I’m gonna eat some cornflakes then get dressed. Should I gel my hair and look all pretty for our date with the Kesslers?”

Jake turned around with his arms out as he backed into his room. “Is that even a question?”

“Duly noted,” Chris said, before walking quickly toward his room. “Gel it is!”

“Take thees, young sir!”

Another French market salesman managed to lunge out in front of Zach at the exact moment he passed, putting yet another piece of classic French merchandise in front of his face. This time, however, it was a small glass of wine. “Have a taste! Jjjust a taste! Pure heaven eetself!”

Zach leaned away from the drink with a half surprised look as he and Luke were abruptly stopped in their steps. “I – umm – no thank you, sir.”

“Oh, but it is heav’un!! TASTE!”

“Move aside, please, sir.” Luke said with a small frown, pushing past the man with the last ounce of politeness the gesture could allow, and then continuing down the sidewalk with Zach. “The marketplace of this city is beginning to seriously grate on my nerves. This is the last time we are walking anywhere.”

“I find it amusing.” Zach replied, a little more lightheartedly as he smiled at the venders that stared them down. “They are very enthusiastic.”

“Enthusiastic is not the word I would use for it,” Luke muttered, ushering Zach aside when it looked like they were getting too close to another avid merchant, finally turning until they were able to cross the street. “They are almost maniacal. And I still haven’t the faintest idea if we’re even getting close to the pharmacy.”

Zach squinted as he looked ahead. “I thought it was on the corner.”

“That’s what we thought, but that doesn’t look like a pharmacy,” Luke pointed out, gesturing to the rather odd-looking building that they were approaching. “It looks like a gentleman’s club.”

Zach chuckled. “Maybe it’s like Hooters but a pharmacy version.”

“Right. They don’t hire any pharmacists that don’t wear Double Ds.” Luke rolled his eyes, steering Zach by the shoulders as they crossed the street and headed for the building. He peered at the sign as they approached, and let out another exasperated sound at what was written there. “Well, what do you know? It is a pharmacy.”

Zach pursed his lips to hide his smile.

“Shut up. I can hear you.” Luke said accusingly, before pushing the door to the building open and walking inside. He raised his eyebrows at the sight of the interior. “Wow.”

The pharmacy was quite unlike anything seen in America. It was wide, spacious, with carpeted floors that made the place look more like an actual doctor’s office than anything. And right when they walked in, a woman in white leaned forward at the counter, giving them a beaming smile as they entered. “Bonjeur!” she called out. “May I ‘elp you?”

“Yes, we’re here to pick up some medication,” Luke said, stepping carefully forward with Zach at his side. “For Zach Kessler.”

“Oh, oui?” the woman raised her eyebrows and looked between them. “And weech one of you eez Zachary?”

“I am, ma’am.” Zach replied, smiling at the woman.

“Oh ‘ello,” the woman said, beaming at him before moving to her computer and starting to type in some information. “You are absolutely adorable! And what medeecation shall you be order’ing today?”

‘My doctor sent in the order.” Zach replied, peering over the counter. “Dr. Reeves.”

“Ohhhh, off course! Dr. Reeves!” the pharmacist cooed, immediately stepping back toward the medication packets in the back to begin searching through them. “Quite a charmer, eez he not?”

“Yes, he’s very nice. Is the prescription ready?” Luke asked her pointedly.

“Eet should be here…” she replied in a sing-song voice, sifting through a set of packets in the back. “How eez your last name spelled?”

“K-e-s-s-l-e-r.” Zach replied.

“Oooh, like ze drink!” the pharmacist giggled.

Luke ran a hand down his face.

“Here eet is!” the pharmacist quickly reappeared, reaching out to jiggle the back in Zach’s face. “Oh, eet is a good day today. Just a little while ago I had two beeaauuuteeful blondes come in. Zey were just as charming as you are!”

Zach immediately looked up. “The Kirks?”

“Why, yes! You know zem?” the woman asked in great interest, leaning toward them across the counter. “Friends, per’aps?”

“Perhaps,” Luke said, glancing over at Zach before looking back at her. “Do you know if they headed for the diner across the street when they left?”

“It seemed like zey were…but why?” the pharmacist leaned forward even more, suddenly looking acutely interested. “Are you going on a – double date?”

Zach gave her a grateful smile. “Thank you for your help, ma’am.” He said, taking the pills as he motioned for Luke. “We’ll be alright from here.”

“Oooh, have fun!” the woman called after them as they turned to leave the building. “Come back soon!”

“I don’t think I like French women,” Luke muttered as they walked through the doors and back onto the sidewalk. He looked over at the package in Zach’s hand. “Are they all there?”

Zach nodded, lifting them up with a small shake. “Feels right to me.”

“Well, let’s just hope they work,” Luke said, glancing at the diner as they approached. “You should probably take one with your lunch. The prednosine should have worn off by now.”

Walking inside the diner, the two began to make their way toward the host’s booth to request a table, when a familiar voice behind them suddenly stopped them in their tracks.

“AHA! I knew they were right behind us!” Chris’s voice sounded out through the entryway, and Zach felt a hand clap his shoulder before he’d even turned around to face the grinning blonde man who was now very noticeably beside him. “Hey, Kesslers! Long time no see!”

“Hello Jim,” Zach said with an amused smile, turning and giving him a pat on the back. “We worried we would be unable to locate you.”

“Not us,” Jake laughed from behind them both, coming up to pat Luke on the back firmly. “You two kinda stand out if you don’t mind my saying so.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 pm

"You probably don't have much luck blending in, either," Luke said, needing only glance sideways to point out several other diners (mostly female) who were staring at them. "Have you been here long?"

"Nah. They just went out to fix up our table," Chris said, shrugging. "And we even got here pretty fast. Jake just got his motorcycle in from the states today!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christi Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Zach looked over in surprise. "A motorcycle?"

"Yup." Jake said, unable to hide his proud smile. "It's my baby."
Christi
Christi
Admin